Below is a list of Alcoholics Anonymous meetings who subscribe to a format that Bob Anderson established from his 44 year of experience in recovery to be an effective guide to conducting a meeting that carries the message of 12 Step recovery. Below is a meeting format (copy and paste) for those who would like to start a PRIMETIME meeting. In the free audio streams, you will find meetings, workshops, and retreats conducted by Bob Anderson as a live model to conducting a meeting that stays with the purpose of talking about Alcoholism, Ego and Self and carrying the message of Twelve Step recovery.
You can also find more meeting information and fellowship with other AA members who attend PRIMETIME meetings at http://primetimeisnow.com/wordpress/
Day Time Meeting Location
Monday, 7:30 PM PRIMETIME WOMEN ONLY, 14401 Dickens Street, Sherman Oaks, CA in Library/south bldg.
Monday, 8:00 PM PRIMETIME MEN ONLY CLOSED, 14401 Dickens Street, Sherman Oaks, CA
Tuesday 7:00 PM TREATED TUESDAY, Agape Church at 5700 Buckingham Parkway, Culver City (Cross street is West Slauson)
Wednesday 7:30PM PRIMETIME CALBASAS, Church of the Canyon, 4235 Las Virgenes Rd, Calabasas
Thursday 7:30 PM PRIMETIME IS NOW, 7929 Melrose Ave. Hollywood, CA
Friday 7:30 PM NEW FREEDOM, Speaker/Participation Closed Meeting, Park Hall at 7th & Wilshire, Santa Monica.
Saturday 7:30 PM PRIMETIME SATURDAY NIGHT, 14401 Dickens Street, Sherman Oaks, CA
PRIMETIME Meeting Format
Announce: Welcome to the Prime Time Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting
1. LEADER INTRODUCES SELF: My name is _______, I’m an alcoholic
2. LEADER OPENS UP WITH THE SERENITY PRAYER
“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”
3. LEADER READS THE PREAMBLE:
“Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.
The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for AA membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any public controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.”
4. LEADER SELECTS SOMEONE TO READ CHAPTER 5, IN THE BIG BOOK OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS.
5. LEADER ASKS, “We celebrate birthdays. Is anyone celebrating a birthday who hasn’t told us?” SECRETARY ANNOUNCES BIRTHDAYS.
6. LEADER STATES THE PURPOSE AND FORMAT OF THE MEETING:
“The purpose of PRIME TIME is to talk about the reason to come to alcoholics anonymous; to describe the disease of alcoholism, not just as a word, but as a living, mind-powered disease. How the disease appears, and functions so awareness of the disease is there to see and recognize. Alcoholism is called an “ism” because it is alive and functioning and needs to be treated.
“The format is to have a speaker for 25- 30 minutes who speaks about alcoholism, ego and self and gives an introduction to Steps 1, 2, and 3 to a lay foundation for recovery. The speaker will make references to A.A. literature, wherever the references seem to apply or bring out the information more strongly”. .
Then we open up for sharing or questions and answers. We share about the way our behavior is this day. The way we react or look at people, places and things. During the participation, we DO NOT share about drunkalogues, controversies, personalities, yesterday’s problems or blaming other people. We DO share only about looking inwardly describing how self behaves in the day we are in. We refer to steps only in describing the treatment or non-treatment of the disease today in our own personal lives.
We encourage participation, however we do ask that you limit your sharing to 3 to 5 minutes. We are strict about that time, so we will signal to you when your time is up. Don’t let that hurt your feelings it is just so we can get as many people to participate as possible. If you would like to ask a question or share, raise your hand and we will call on you. Come to the podium to share, so everyone can hear you. People mainly come to this meeting for the format. Therefore, if you do not follow the format, we will not call on you.
There is no break so feel free to get coffee and cookies as you like, but please be aware of your noise level.
7. PLEASE QUALIFY: “Also, many times we hear the name Bob Anderson at this meeting. Bob developed this format as he found it, in his 44 years of sobriety, to be the very effective in ensuring the message is delivered at the meeting. Although, Bob passed away in April of 1997. We have continued the use of this format and have found it to be very effective as well. So if you hear his name, you know who he is and what his relationship is to the meeting.
8. INTRODUCE SPEAKER: At this time we would like to ask _______ to open up.
DO NOT READ: AFTER THE SPEAKER PASS THE 7TH TRADITION BASKET.
9. ANNOUNCE: “We will now open up to questions and answers or sharing. Remember that during the participation, we DO NOT share about drunkalogues, controversies, personalities, yesterday’s problems, blaming other people or teaching. We DO share only about looking inwardly describing how self behaves in the day we are in. We refer to steps only in describing the treatment or non-treatment of the disease today in our own personal lives.”
10. THROUGHOUT THE WORKSHOP ASK: Does anybody have any questions? (WAIT) Would anybody like to share?
11.AT 9:25PM END PARTICIPATION: “Sorry, our time is up. Thank you everyone for participation.
12. Happy birthday to the birthday people. We have some business announcements. We do not have time for any other announcements.
a. ASK FOR SECRETARY ANNOUCEMENTS:
b. ASK FOR TREASURY ANNOUNCEMENTS:
THE FIRST MEETING OF EVERY MONTH: Treasurer report:
c. ASK FOR LITERATURE ANNOUNCEMENTS:
d. TAPE ANNOUNCEMENT: “We have tapes over on the tape table. The tapes are of Bob and are singles of meetings with this format and workshops and retreats. Take a look. If you are interested, ______ will be at the table so you can purchase them.
13. ANNOUNCE: After a moment of silent meditation, we will close with the Lord’s prayer.